Thursday, December 23, 2010

day 10: home sweet home


make lip balm your bff

Getting jaw surgery done a couple of weeks before Christmas probably sounds like a really silly idea to a lot of people, and can I just put this out there - I agree. Especially since Christmas is a huge deal in my family and we really do celebrate and by that I mean we feast. By good golly do we ever.

Sigh.

I didn't specifically choose to get it done so close to the holiday season (not that much of a masochist ya know), but upon finding out I was ready for surgery I did choose to have it done as soon as possible. Graham mentioned in one of his posts that if you do intend to go through this whole process, you're bound to miss a holiday event or two. Be it Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year, Chinese New Year, Easter, Your Birthday....... You see where I'm going with this. So Christmas is the holiday I have to skip out on this year!

I came to terms with it by telling myself, and I do genuinely believe this, IT'S JUST ONE CHRISTMAS. One! One of many, many, many more to come (optimistically speaking of course). What's missing my 23rd Christmas when I have my 24th and beyond to look forward to? What's a mush diet for just 8 weeks when I have many, many, many more weeks in my life to eat any dang thing I want? Is it not a worthy price to pay for a perfect bite?

It's a resounding "HELL YES!!" in my head. Oh don't get me wrong - I'm sure I'll whine all of tomorrow night when I see my family members chowing down (this year, we're having homemade popiah so please excuse me while I run to a corner and sob) but I know that in time to come, I'll be devouring popiah. With my corrected bite. Happily.

Food that made me feel less like a patient and more like a real person today:
  • Snack: Ice cream in previous post;
  • Snack: Custard in Beard Papa cream puff;
  • Snack; Berry yogurt;
  • Dinner: Pumpkin soup & Steamed egg with shredded chicken
Honestly, a positive attitude is imperative to push through the recovery period. Time just crawls by that much slower when we're being grouchy and upset and cheesing off our caretakers with our attitude. Mm freakin hmm.
Holiday Season, I'M READY FOR YOU!

2 comments:

  1. haha your so right about the lip balm..
    on the bright side this is like a christmas gift...and new years resolution is enjoy your new smile =)

    i knoow right; christmas is about stuffing your face with food and feeling happy...ahh sucks

    how long do you have to keep banded shut?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your speedy recovery!

    I am going for extractions on 30th Dec before fixing the braces on 4th Jan and I totally agree with you on doing something major during the festive season. I guess thats the price to pay for vainity!

    I know i'm quite a wussy but I really hope my gums will heal soon enough from extractions and the pain from braces would be bearable.

    ReplyDelete