Monday, January 3, 2011

day 21: i am a couch potato

Scratch that. I am a bed potato.

Given that I've been home and in my pajamas for 72 hours STRAIGHT (including new year's eve and new year's day ), I should probably have been updating this space a lot more frequently to let you guys know how this recovering jawsurg patient is doing.

But alas, I haven't. I have no good excuse except that I've come down with an infection as a result of my antibiotics. Without going into too much detail, suffice it to say I feel awful. Girls, this is a our gender only type of infection. Make of it what you will. Yes okay I'll stop now.

I told both my surgeon and my GP that this actually feels worse than recovering from major jaw surgery. How in the world do 75% of women (wiki tells me so) handle this so seemingly effortlessly? And some multiple times? How in the bejeebus????

On to the PSF:
  • Pain: Remember how I said there was little to no pain?

    I lied. Clearly I was still under the wonderful lull of painkillers.

    It's not that it hurts per se but let's just say that once you're off painkillers, the soreness and tightness becomes that much more acute and you're plenty more aware of the strain in your face. Should I wuss out and pop an Aleve? I'm not in enough pain though...... We shall see.

  • Swelling: Swelling (well, de-swelling) has definitely stagnated. I've been looking at the same puffy hamster face for the past week now. I've developed these midsized bump like things (wow, descriptive) on my left jawline. I don't actually know what they are but they're hard - they almost feel like bones but spherical. My surgeon says not to worry so I am not worrying. I am, however, looking forward to regaining full control of my facial muscles. Every time I smile, I reluctantly look very, very reluctant. Zzz.

  • Food: This is one area where I've been A+++. I have been eating like a fiend. I just had fishball noodle soup for breakfast and over the course of the past 3 days I have eaten half a durian cake (like THE WHOLE CAKE), mee siam and popiah vege. The weight loss part of my recovery has definitely come to a sugar filled end.
Some photos:


my family had teppanyaki for new year's eve lunch (HEARTLESS FOLKS)



.. what I had -_-



dinner at din tai fung with my girlfriends


dumplings, meet scissors!
food, meet mouth!

1 comment:

  1. hey there jaw bud, aww man im sorry to hear bout the infection..i hope it goes awayy

    i think its okay for all jaw patients to sleep and be couch potatoes..we do need our rest lol

    the food looks good, ah you know if it wasnt for your blog i would not know the days that have gone by...21 is a big number

    wishing you the best and a speedy recovery..
    -Mai

    ReplyDelete